There are 287,000 teaching posts, general assistants now open.
- The Ministry of Basic Education has opened phase 2 of the Basic Education Employment Initiative program.
- The program will see 287,000 teachers and general assistants employed for five months.
- Phase 1 of the program ended in April and the second phase would last until March 2022, the DBE said.
The Ministry of Basic Education announced on Sunday that it had opened phase 2 of the Basic Education Employment Initiative program.
Phase 2 of the program would see 287,000 teachers and general assistants employed, the department said.
Department spokesman Elijah Mhlanga said applicants will be placed in schools for five months, from November 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022.
Applications would run from September 27 and close on October 3.
READ |The impact of teacher assistants leads the DBE to request a contract extension
According to the ministry, applicants would need to have passed the exam to qualify.
NQF level 4, 6 and 7 would be an added advantage.
The positions that will be filled, according to the department:
- Education Assistant – Curriculum
- Teaching assistant – TIC / e-Cadres
- Teaching assistant – Reading champions
- General school assistant – Child and youth care worker
- General school assistant – handyman (no matrix required)
- School General Assistant – Sports and Enrichment Officer (no matrix required)
A matrix certificate would not, however, be required from applicants to be placed in infrastructure support, sports and enrichment officer positions as assistants.
Commercial certificates would be an added benefit, he said.
“As in phase 1, the focus will be on training participants, with a view to enriching their skills and preparing them for better employment prospects. Young people recruited for phase 2 of the Basic Education Employment Initiative can expect to receive training in the following areas, ”Mhlanga said.
The ministry said young people recruited for phase 2 of the program could expect to receive training in information technology, sports enrichment and infrastructure maintenance.
READ ALSO |‘The Assistant Educator Initiative was supposed to bring us financial freedom, but it brought us even more depression ‘
Phase 1 of the Basic Education Employment Initiative ran from December 1, 2020 to April 31, 2021.
About 300,000 young people participated in phase 1 of BEEI. .
The department said Phase 2 will focus on tackling unemployment among young people and those lacking relevant experience.
“During phase 1 of the initiative, data collected after youth placement indicated that a significant number of unemployed youth placed on PYEI-BEEI had qualifications in various fields.
“Phase 2 will also provide experiential learning, while ensuring that those who have studied education or are interested in education as a field of study, will be oriented towards pathways that will bring them back into the world. sector, ”Mhlanga said.