Woman shed tears of relief after getting a place at MIQ after life-changing surgery


Authorities have overturned the decision to deny a managed emergency isolation space (MIQ) to a woman who has just undergone major surgery in the United States.

Glenys Mahoney has been denied a spot at MIQ twice after undergoing life-changing mesh removal surgery overseas. Surgery was not available to her in New Zealand.

Friend and lawyer Charlotte Korte said Mahoney was completely relieved after the success of her third request.

“We were both actually in tears on the phone, it was such a relief. It just defeated Glenys because she had been fighting for so long and was finally able to come home.

READ MORE:
* Kiwi “terrified” of being left in the US after surgery without access to health care
* Woman refused MIQ room readmitted to hospital in the United States
* Woman recovering from major surgery in the United States turned down a place at MIQ

MIQ co-director Megan Main said the team took all the information provided into account. and based their decision on whether it met the criteria for emergency allocation.

Criteria for emergency claims included “a serious risk to health or safety … to the claimant or their dependent, requiring urgent travel to New Zealand,” the MIQ website said.

Mahoney, 54, flew to the United States in late June for major surgery to remove the surgical net on July 2. She hoped the procedure would finally free her from a life of chronic pain and disability.

A procedure to treat pelvic organ prolapse in 2006 with multiple mesh devices went wrong for the former radiologist.

She had since undergone 12 operations in New Zealand to correct the first surgery, but with little improvement. Her specialist supported her in her search for help from global stitch removal expert Dionysios Veronikis in St. Louis, Missouri.

Glenys Mahoney and surgeon Dr. Dionysios Veronikis after his July 2 procedure to have the mesh remnants removed.

PROVIDED

Glenys Mahoney and surgeon Dr. Dionysios Veronikis after his July 2 procedure to have the mesh remnants removed.

Mahoney spent three months unsuccessfully trying to get an MIQ voucher for the hours of surgery and available flights.

She said that an MIQ staff member told her in late May or early June that she would be eligible for an MIQ emergency spot and that she would have to book her flights and surgery and then apply afterwards. .

Main said MIQ checked his correspondence with Mahoney in March.

“The contact center informed her that she could apply for an emergency allowance if there were no vouchers available, but did not comment on her chances of success.”

Late on July 14, Mahoney was forced to cancel her return flights from St Louis after learning that her MIQ application had been denied. She was due to leave the next morning.

She had already spent $ 70,000 on travel and surgery, and had run out of funds.

Distraught, alone and with three open wounds, the Palmerston North woman was briefly readmitted to St Louis hospital, before traveling to Atlanta, Georgia to stay with her US-based brother.

Mahoney learned on Tuesday that the MIQ had granted him a place under the emergency allowance, allowing him to change the booking of his return flights.

Korte said the experience had been extremely traumatic for Mahoney and MIQ needed to change the way it responds to emergency seekers in desperate situations.

“It took a heavy toll on him and no one should have to go through it.

“I mean, where’s the compassion?” “

New Zealand had 350 MIQ places available every fortnight as part of the emergency allocation process.


Source link

Previous Virtual learning grows as Michigan kids return to buildings amid COVID
Next Laptops donated to students at Wolverhampton Primary School to fight digital divide

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *