The VES Awards Committee has revised the Rules and Procedures (R&P) to update the definitions of several categories to align with current industry practice. A full list of R&Ps is available here.
Submissions must be received by November 30, 2022; the application fees remain unchanged.
The new VES award:
Category 25: Emerging Technology Award celebrates the people: production developers, R&D technical directors, software engineers and creators of the technology behind the visuals.
Categories 11 and 12 have been combined as follows:
R&P for the following categories have been refined:
- Category 7: Outstanding Visual Effects in a Commercial
- Category 15: Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a CG Project
- Category 19: Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Episode, Commercial, or Real-Time Project
- Category 22: Outstanding Composition and Lighting in a Commercial.
Only one submission per project is allowed in the general categories (categories 1 to 8). If multiple facilities wish to submit a project in one of these categories, they must coordinate their submission through the General Visual Effects Supervisor or General Visual Effects Producer to submit a joint entry. Only in the broadcast or streaming categories may multiple submissions of the same project be allowed in limited circumstances.
Entrants are encouraged to submit optional PDF files of additional written material for publication on the View & Vote site.
- From January 1 to December 31, 2022: eligibility period for registrations
- October 10, 2022: opening of submissions
- From November 7 to November 30, 2022: download the viewing material
- November 30, 2022: Deadline for submission
- February 15, 2023: 21st Annual VES Awards and Gala
Visit the VES Awards Page for complete information.
Source: Visual Effects Society
Debbie Diamond Sarto is Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.